Nature's Heart

Nature's Heart

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Another Life?

 

I have been asked: “ Do you believe in reincarnation?” or some version of that question…many times…

Let me tell you a little bit about my background. I grew up in a practicing Christian home. It was around the tender age of three I remember having some of my first thoughts and questions about the idea and belief of an "after-life" and Heaven. I was sitting on the floor with my mother looking at our book lined shelves when I asked my mother how one becomes “saved” and what that really means…and then concluding that conversation with the decision and prayer to giving my life to Christ. Over the years there have been bumps, smooth sailing, battles and joy in my walk as a Christian. I have explored and searched, I have had moments when I distanced myself as much as I could from God and returned the prodigal daughter. I am drawn to many things that isn’t typical of what one thinks of or defines when the word  “Christian” comes to mind. Traditionally though I can say that the topic of reincarnation is frowned upon or simply not talked about or brought up in my experience growing up in the church…

To put it as simply as I can, this is what I have come to know on a personal level:

What I have come to know and focus on is that I have been given and incredible gift for this current life as I know it, in this human form. With this human body there are certain limits and as well as responsibilities. I cannot re-live the past (other than in my mind…and usually this is not a healthy mental practice nor is it recommended to re-live things over and over, learn from YES, remain there? No.) and I do not know what the future holds for my life on many levels. What I do know is that I have today….today is where my power lies. I have the power to form my day…to be healthy and take care of this body and yes to plan and hope for the future but again, to recognize that nothing is ever guaranteed, and to enjoy the ride with all of its seen and unforeseen twist and turns. Although we love to live in the illusion that we have control and find security in that, I do believe that in reality everything is in a delicate balance.

I also know that by wondering what I might have been in the past…IF I was anything at all, just as wondering who I might be in my “future form/life” takes away from the here and now takes away from the present…my present moment…precious irreplaceable moments of time. I want to be a good steward with the time I have since I can simply push a “do over” button.  I do not want to regret any part of THIS life. I am working daily at embracing every moment and learning from every joy and challenge that life brings my way. Because I don’t want to live with regret, this pushes me to improve myself in as many different facets as possible… And is it me or does the thought or hope and wondering if one will come back in another life, have a hint that one didn’t live to their full potential in THIS life?

It is simply not for me to know…and this is liberating because it frees up my thinking space and I can better use my time and attention on other things. By accepting the notion that some things are out of our control, this gives us permission to “let it (the things that we can’t control) go”, to move forward and enjoy the NOW…after all now is all you have got isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment